Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What a difference a plate makes

So, regular readers will remember the bet I have going with Miles. If I can get into my vintage cocktail dress by our anniversary (May 11), he'll take me to House of Prime Rib in San Francisco for dinner.

Now, I need to lose some serious tonnage before I can get into the peacock dress. Losing weight always seems such a battle doomed to fail for me. But I have discovered a very useful technique in the battle of the bulge!

Small plates.

Yup. Just by using a small plate, you eat less.

I will confess right now; I LOVE to eat. And I love to cook. Often, I have excused my less-than-trim figure by saying, "Never trust a skinny cook!" But let's cut through the bullshit. I'm over- weight. I'm at risk for diabetes. I have young children. I need to take care of myself, so I can take care of my family.

Having hear about this diet trick, I've been keeping my eye out for small plates on the cheap. I found 'em last weekend at Target. 8 salad plates for 7 bucks. The first time the whole family used them was t'other night when I made baked macaroni-n-cheese. A little back story: whenever I make this, we all eat like pigs. Everyone has seconds, and even thirds. It's (pardon my ego) really good stuff. Usually, we eat 90% of the casserole and the kids almost come to blows over the small amount of leftovers.

This time, on the small plates, the family only ate half of the casserole.

I'm just amazed. Without thinking about it, we all ate noticeably less, merely by using a smaller plates.

I think I'm on to something....

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Jennifer!

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say you're on to something, I think you've re-invented the wheel. But I'm not trying to sound catty, we all need to re-invent what ever particular wheel gets us rolling in the right direction. Go get 'em. In fact, I think I'll try your wheel on for size, see if I can't reduce MY rim size!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The small plate theory works (as you know). You see a full plate and you eat it. Psychologically, you think, I ate a full plate of food (or 3 in the case of your mac and cheese) and you eat less. Good job and good luck on your quest to fit in the peacock dress. I think you'll make it.

    ReplyDelete